Sunday, May 2, 2010

May Day 5K

I thought I had written more posts this week. Odd. Oh well. It's been a busy week.

Ran the May Day 5K, "Run For the Veterans" yesterday here in Republic. It was fun. The course was an out and back in a residential area that was very well marked and manned by volunteers. The start was typical. I started in the middle of the pack as usual. There was a bit of a bottle neck as we transitioned from the road by the fitness center to the walking/running/cycling path. I don't think anyone got hurt, but I definitely was not liking the temporary "herd" feeling.

Realized real quick that the field was pretty fast. Mike said he started to worry because so many people were finishing and they still didn't see me. Then he realized the clock was no where NEAR my projected finish. That's the way it goes.

I kept it steady, worked on some things I've been having issues with on my training runs and tried to have fun. I did. Ha, around mile 2, there was this old guy standing out on his driveway with some sort of organ thing on a stand. He was turning a crank and it was making music. Not that I could really hear it over Static X. I thought it was pretty neat, though.

Official time: 00:33:28
Pace: 10:45/mile

Good: I had fun, worked on my breathing and staying relaxed. The proceeds for this race are going to build a Veteran's memorial here in Republic and to the Cox Fitness scholarship program.
Also Good: I weighed myself before the race... I lost 5 pounds last week. Whoot!
Bad: My left foot betrayed me near the end and started turning out to the left which took some power away from my push. Definitely caused some wasted energy there. Also bad, I was wearing a pink race belt with a red shirt. Ha! I know. I'm definitely not a fashion plate.

I should mention that my husband, kids, mother-in-law and neighbors all did the 1 mile Fun run/walk. :) I was proud of all of them for participating. My youngest ran the whole mile with the girl next door and was pretty stoked. I think he's hooked on running now which is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and say what you want to say.